Saturday, December 17, 2011

PERFECTLY CRISP BACON EVERY TIME

During the holiday's especially, I like things that help me get more than one meal from my efforts. For example, cooking bacon once and using it for  three or four meals.


Do you agree that bacon goes with almost everything? I love bacon!
I don't eat it very often, so when I do, I want it to be perfect. To me that means evenly browned and definitely crispy.


The worst part of bacon is cooking it. I can only fit a few pieces in a frying pan and I always end up with grease splatters all over the stove. I HATE BACON SPLATTER! Wow, that sounds a little strong, but I really do hate cleaning up bacon grease.


So, I'm going to show you how to make perfect bacon every time, with no grease splatters!! And, it's EASY! In the oven.


On the day I cook the bacon we will have BLT's for dinner (or lunch on weekend), crumbled bacon for personal frittatas and some bacon in the freezer for a special salad or casserole.


First - do NOT preheat the oven.


Start by laying out the strips of bacon on a cookie sheet. I tend to always put foil on my cookie sheet no matter what I'm cooking, but it's not necessary.
Put the cookie sheet in the COLD oven and turn it on to 400*.
Set the timer for 17 minutes and stay close by.
Check it at 17 minutes. If it is nice and brown, take it out. Depending on your oven it may take up to 20 minutes. Don't walk away after the 17 minutes, it will burn in 30 seconds. My oven makes perfect bacon in 19 minutes.
Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and use tongs to transfer the bacon to another sheet lined with paper towels.
VOILA! Perfectly crisp bacon every time!


If you want to freeze bacon for future use, remove it from the oven about 30 seconds early. When cooled, put in baggies and freeze. Take out and microwave for 30 seconds for a quick breakfast.


I typically cook 2-one pound packages to have enough for today's for BLT's today, a batch of Super Easy Personal Frittatas  some to put in the freezer for future use. 


If you like to use bacon grease for cooking, you can pour it from the cookie sheet into a glass jar.


When cooking multiple batches, I turn the oven off as I remove the bacon and leave the oven door open while I transfer the bacon, pour off the grease and spread new bacon strips on the cookie sheet. This helps the oven to cool down before the next tray goes in.


However, each batch will cook a little faster than the last because the oven is not completely cooled. Typically about a minute faster each time. Keep an eye on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I love learning from you! Click on "subscribe by email" to receive follow up comments