Monday, December 26, 2011

BUTTERNUT SQUASH & APPLE SOUP

It's not been very cold in Phoenix yet this winter, so maybe I'm hoping if I keep making good soup recipes that we will get some cold weather. Either way, there's nothing like a warm bowl of good homemade soup in the winter. I hope you get to enjoy sipping  hot soup while watching it snow. Try this recipe for Baked Potato Soup, it's another great cold weather soup. And coming up we'll share Broccoli Soup and Cauliflower Curry Soup.
 
I really like soups that are very tasty and healthy at the same time. This Butternut Squash and Apple soup is so flavorful and so healthy. It is definitely one of my favorites. I also love that it is easy to make.

The worst part of preparing squash, in my opinion, is trying to peel and cut the squash when it is raw. Squash is so darn hard that it is just a difficult job and not very pleasant. Even cutting it in half and scraping out the seeds takes too long in my opinion.

My solution to that is to bake it first. I pierce the Butternut Squash a few times with a fork and put it in a 350* oven for 40-45 minutes. When I can stick my fork in it, it's done. Simple as that. After baking it, I cut it in half and easily remove the seeds. And the peel practically falls off of the baked squash. So easy! I frequently bake a couple of squash (even different types of squash) at the same time to make several different dishes. It's amazing how quickly you can whip something together if the squash is already baked.

BUTTERNUT SQUASH & APPLE SOUP
What you need:
1 Butternut Squash (2-2 ½ lb)
2 Granny Smith Apples, peeled and chopped
1 Small Onion, Chopped
2 Carrots, Peeled and Sliced
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Salt
8 Cups Chicken Broth (or Vegetable Broth), or make your own with water/bouillion

Optional Garnish:
Peeled and Chopped Apple
Sour Cream

Directions:
Roast squash-stab it a few times with fork and bake in 350* oven for 40 – 45 min.
Cut squash in half and remove seeds. Peel squash and chop in large pieces.

Saute’ onion and carrot in olive oil for 5 minutes until onion is clear.
Add broth and apple, simmer 10 minutes until apple is soft.
Add squash, salt and pepper.
Puree in blender (or use immersion blender)
Garnish with chopped apple or a dollop of sour cream.



So easy! So Good! Enjoy!
Do you have a favorite winter soup? Please share…I’m always looking for new recipes to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I love learning from you! Click on "subscribe by email" to receive follow up comments