Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pulled Chicken Sandwiches


Is there anyone who doesn’t love good barbecue? I know I do. There's something about a finger lickin' good rack of ribs or perfectly spiced pulled pork. But I struggle with wanting it to be healthy as well. Here's a pulled chicken recipe that is both delicious and healthy.

I know that original pulled meat sandwiches include Coleslaw. I will post separately about the coleslaw that I tried, along with a couple of recipes for you to try with your pulled chicken.

Ingredients:
3 Small or 2 Large Whole Chickens
1 (15 oz) can Tomato Sauce
1 (18 oz) bottle Hickory Smoked BBQ Sauce
1 (18 oz) Bottle Bills Johnson's Hot & Spice  Sauce
1 Sweet Red or Yellow Bell Pepper
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Tbsp Garlic
1 Tbsp Paprika
1 Tbsp Celery Salt
1 tsp Cumin
2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 Cup Honey or Agave

Technique:
Boil chickens until tender. (Boiling chickens are never pretty, are they?)
Cool and remove meat from bones, discarding skin and fat. (Just boiled chickens are not pretty either!!) On this day I boiled 3 large chickens and used 2 for pulled chicken and 1 for a pot of chicken soup.
"Pull" chicken with two forks or your fingers.

While the chicken is cooling enough to handle it, put the sauce together.
Turn  the crock pot on high.
Mix all sauce ingredients together in crock pot.
Add pulled chicken to sauce.
Cook on high 2-3 hours or turn the crock pot to low and let simmer 4-6 hours.
(Simma down now, simma down! Sorry, I digress...) 
Serve with buns...
Add coleslaw if you like...
And accidentally figure out that the pulled chicken is fabulous on spicy nacho chips!! 
Okay, I think this was my favorite way to eat it. On the bun was great. But I'm a fan of spicy and the chips added a little spice and a little crunch...perfect! This recipe as I've written it has really great flavor, but is not spicy. You could add a little heat by increasing the crushed red pepper flakes. 

What favorite food would you like to find a healthier version of?
To leave a comment Click Here.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I love learning from you! Click on "subscribe by email" to receive follow up comments