Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Juicy Gossip: Arizona Red Juice

Someone commented on the V38 Juice post and said, "It looks really good. I might try it, but I don't care for beets". What I didn't tell you is that I don't care for beets either! I can only think of two vegetables that I don't care for and they are eggplant and beets. It is probably, uh, highly likely, uh, definitely due to how they were prepared for us as kids. GROSS! I have learned that I do like eggplant parmesan, so I MAY be willing to try eggplant in some other recipe. Not sure I'm willing to go there yet. Okay, I'll go this far...if you can throw a killer eggplant recipe my way, I'll try it. I'll prepare it, eat it, blog about it, and credit you for converting me...(I'm such a positive thinker; already assuming that one of you will have a fabulous recipe that will change my attitude towards eggplant.)

On to beets...I don't "care for them" is a really nice way of saying I JUST DON'T LIKE THEM!! That being said, years ago after learning about the nutritional properties of beets, I tried juicing them, just on the off chance that the juice was better than eating the vegetable. It is fantastic juice! There are so many combinations to use it in that everyone can find one they really like. Some of my favorites are Carrot/Beet/Cucumber JuiceV38 Juice and this Arizona Red Juice. 

Did you know that beet juice beet juice increases blood flow to the brain? Beet roots contain high concentrations of nitrates, which are converted into nitrites by bacteria in the mouth. And nitrites help open blood vessels in the body, increasing blood flow and oxygen to places lacking in oxygen. This means that beets juice reduces the risk for blood clots. A new study suggests that this super vegetable may fight the progression of dementia, according to researchers from the Translational Science Center at Wake Forest University.

Beets are a unique source of phytonutrients called betalains. To you and me, this means that beets are rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds, and they aid in detoxification. Beets start losing betalains as soon as they are heated; the loss steadily increases as the cooking time is increased. For this reason, the greatest health benefit is derived from raw beet juice. There are also lab studies on human tumor cells that confirm that beets are a highly-likely candidate for risk reduction of many cancer types.


On to the juice. I call it Arizona Red because as I'm juicing, the vibrant and rich reds and oranges that come out remind me of Arizona sunrises and sunsets. When combined, they produce a rich red, reminiscent of sunset. This juice is beautiful in color, and sweet in taste.


Arizona Red Juice
3 Carrots
1 Sweet Potato
2 Red Beets (Lg)
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Orange (peeled)
2 Apples (any sweet variety)


Don't be deceived by the first few  ingredients...this juice is sweet and smooth!
Note: Don't be alarmed if your urine and stools have a red tint. It is normal and expected when you drink beet juice.


Printable Recipe 



Is there a vegetable that you hate  don't care for? Would you be willing to try it in a juice recipe?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I love learning from you! Click on "subscribe by email" to receive follow up comments