Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Healthy Habits: Roasted Veggies


Roasting is an easy way to prepare veggies with pumped up flavor. If there is a veggie you aren't crazy about, try roasting it and see if it isn't better. Honestly, I was never a huge fan of sweet potatoes until I started roasting them. (I know, they are one of the most nutritious veggies known to mankind; you'd think I would have been all over them. I wanted to be, just didn't embrace the flavor right away.) But so many different veggies can be prepared in this manner and have incredible taste!

In this pic I cut up baby red potatoes, carrots and squash (any kind will work). Spread them out on a baking sheet. (I always line my baking sheets with foil, no matter what I am baking; makes for super easy cleanup. I like to cook, not clean!)
Then I spray them with Olive Oil (regular OO or EVOO, whatever you prefer).
Then sprinkle with a little sea salt and black pepper.
Then I sprinkled them with dried rosemary. (Post coming soon on growing and drying your own herbs; they're so much better from your garden than the store!)
Sometimes I sprinkle a little cayanne pepper on the veggies; gives them a great flavor without making them hot.
Then put into a 400* oven (375* if your oven runs hot) for about 30 minutes (give or take, poke them to find out when they are tender).
Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately) as soon as they come out of the oven, fingers start picking them off the tray. So I didn't even get a picture of the fully roasted veggies. Maybe I'll get one next time and insert it later.

That's how easy it is. They get a really nice brown, roasted exterior and are so tender to eat. Perfect to serve with chicken breasts or a juicy steak. Or for me, a plate of roasted veggie is perfectly satisfying by itself.


What is your LEAST favorite veggie? And Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I love learning from you! Click on "subscribe by email" to receive follow up comments